Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sept 5th- Summing up this experience.



Me how mau? (in English: “how are you?”) Yesterday evening, the whole group got together for a final “lessons learned” exercise with both classes (55 students). We talked about what we learned about China's politics, religion, social practices, culture, etc. There were many things observed – language barriers, business practices, impact of the government on daily life (ie: censorship), family values, customer service focus, etc. We also talked about how we might apply this new knowledge to our professional and personal lives. During this trip, many students have made assumptions and generalizations about China and its people. We think because we are Americans that we do things better and that China should learn from us. But the opposite is true as well. We can learn from their relationship focus in business. We can learn from their minimization of red tape and regulation as a way to get things accomplished more quickly. We can also learn from their continuous quest to please the customer and manage that relationship as a dynamic ongoing commitment to exceeding expectations. This country cannot be counted out. They are a potential partner, a potential competitor, and a potential resource in any business. China is considered the greatest emerging economy for a reason, and as professionals and individuals, it deserves our respect.

If I've learned anything on this trip, its that casting judgment is for fools. We often approach situations with preconceptions that are completely false. Its natural for humans to approach future situations in the frame of past experience. We look at the rest of the world through American goggles and feel the US way is the only way. Unfortunately, we're wildly ignorant and juvenile in our assumptions. Reading three novels and visiting China for two weeks is a mere scratch on the surface of knowledge for me. I've lived in America for 31 years, and now I question whether I truly know my own country.

That's probably more reflection than you care to swallow, so now I'll tell you about the market, AKA bizarre. It's a tourist heaven and all prices are negotiable... which means, cheap. Though, it may also mean the quality is cheap. I got lots of souvenirs to bring back to my family and friends... plus, a few things for me. Ironically, most of the things you own were probably made in China, but now you'll have items that traveled from China in my suitcase. These pics are a few snapshots of the open market.

My flight leaves tomorrow afternoon and I'll have a 16 hour ride back to the states. I might write again in the morning if this evening's adventures produce any fun tidbits to share. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment